ALPSP Awards for Innovation in Publishing 2016
The closing date for applications for 2016 has passed.
How to Apply
Applications are invited for any new development, product, service, launch or project which is both innovative and of significant value to scholarly communication. Submissions can relate to any part of the scholarly and professional publishing industry but must demonstrate excellence in terms of originality and innovation, significance and value to its community, utility and long-term viability. Applications must define clearly the benefits and advances they represent in their sector. The judges may make more than one award depending on the submissions received.
In order for the panel to make a reasoned assessment, each application must include detail on the background, business model, resources, development, operation of the product and how you are measuring its success. All information will be treated in strictest confidence by the panel.
Please preface your application with a summary Statement of Innovation (maximum 100 words) outlining the key features which make the product innovative and demonstrate its value to the industry.
Supporting information should include detail on the following:
- What are the main features and functions of the product?
- What was the background and research behind its development or launch?
- What resources went into its creation?
- What makes it significant and innovative?
- What value does it offer, how is this measured?
- What is its business model and what is the scope for further expansion?
Please be sure to include the following in your application:
- Name of product
- Publisher or owner
- Date product launched
- Product website
- If a username and password is required to access the content, please supply details with your application.
- Full contact details of person submitting the application
There is no word limit for your application but we suggest a minimum of 500 words and maximum of 2000 words. Please aim to be concise and provide the key information necessary for the panel to judge it rather than providing unnecessary additional background material – more is less! If your application is shortlisted, you will be invited to give a more detailed presentation to the judges on Monday 11 July. Where travel to London is not practical, this can be via a conference call. The closing date for receipt of applications is Wednesday 15 June 2016.
Please note that if you do not provide sufficient information about the innovation you are submitting, the panel will not be able to give due consideration to the application. If the publication or service is produced on behalf of another organization, the owner’s written permission for the submission to be made is required.
For further information please contact Lesley Ogg (email; +44 (0)1245 260571)
Conditions of Entry
- The Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers (ALPSP) reserves the right to make no Award if there are insufficient high quality applications.
- Applications must be made in accordance with the instructions under ‘How to apply’.
- The closing date for receipt of entries is 15 June 2016.
- The judges will consider all the applications and draw up a shortlist. Representatives of the shortlisted applications will be invited to give a 15-minute presentation to the Judges in London on 11 July.
- Each finalist will be invited to give a 5 minute presentation to showcase their application at the ALPSP Conference.
- There are no geographical restrictions on entries.
- If the publication or service is produced on behalf of another organization, the consent of the publication’s owner or service provider is required.
- Award Winners will receive a trophy and certificate. No cash alternative can be substituted for the prize.
- There are no restrictions on number of entries.
- Criteria for judging entries are as detailed above.
- Entries will not be returned.
- Winners of the Awards will be announced at the ALPSP Awards Dinner to be held on 15 September 2016.
- Post event publicity: (a) Details including photographs of all Award winners may be published on the ALPSP website after the Awards Dinner; (b) Press Releases announcing the winners will also be distributed to relevant media; (c) Details of winners may be published in ALPSP Alert and Learned Publishing.